Naperville Area News

Date ArticleType
7/19/2018 General
Phoenix – Rise with Us: Phoenix Closures launches rebrand and makes a new name for itself

Family owned and operated for over 100 years, Phoenix Closures has been responsible for making the lids and caps on many of the bottles and containers you find around the house. Not having had their own "packaging" redesigned in a while left them in need of a complete brand revamp that would represent their future aspirations for the company.

 

"We’ve spent the past several decades trying to help move our clients’ brands to the next level through beautiful and functional packaging design and execution. Now it’s time to take care of ourselves in the same way." – Albert "Alby" Miller, Co-President

The first major change came in the form of a name. Phoenix Closures, will now be Phoenix: a change they believe will further represent their capabilities in the packaging market, while also staying true to who they are as a brand.

The goal from the start was to respect the legacy of the brand, while also bringing it into the 21st Century. For the logo, a bold, modern nod to the original rising phoenix bird was carefully re-crafted to communicate power and movement, the logotype was custom drawn to further emphasize these themes. Just as the visuals spoke volumes, the brand message clearly communicates Phoenix’s role as a collaborator in capabilities and design with their clients.

To help with this massive rebirth of a brand, Phoenix partnered with Zimmer Design, headquartered in Louisville, KY. The initial directives included a visual rebrand, new brand direction, voice, and messaging, as well as strategy, a new family of logos, and website. From there they moved to include new product photography, marketing materials, booth design, and brand standards.

"As we move our company forward, we need a brand that visually represents who we are and who we’re going to be. The tagline ‘Rise with Us’ serves as a call-to-action for all of our current and future partners. Expressing that we can do more together, and that we’ve got you covered." – Albert "Alby" Miller, Co-President

"Having an opportunity to really help a company like Phoenix expand their amazing brand into the next 100 years of business, while at the same time, paying homage to everything that got them there was a challenge we love to be a part of." – Jim Zimmer, Partner/Creative Director at Zimmer-Design

 

 

 

 

About Phoenix

 

 

 

Founded in Bowling Green, Ohio in January, 1890 by John S. Giles, a Civil War veteran and lawyer, the Safe Glass Company manufactured handmade glass jars for fruit packers and soon patented many new designs, most notably the vacuum "Giles Jars" of the early 1900’s. In 1905 the Safe Glass Co. merged with the J. A. Landsberger Co., a metal cap manufacturer in San Francisco, to form the Hermetic Closure

Co. and the new company moved to Chicago. A merger with the Phoenix Cap Co. of New York in 1911 formed the Phoenix-Hermetic Co. Innovations included the development of the modern continuous thread (CT) cap in 1922.

The first Phoenix plastic caps were compression-molded in 1939. In 1959 the first injection-molding machine was purchased by Phoenix. Demand for the new, thermoplastic caps was so great that an expanded injection-molding facility was established in Naperville in 1965. To reflect its new commitment to thermoplastics, the company name was changed to Phoenix Closures in 1966. In the past 20 years, Phoenix has been awarded over 50 patents related to closure design and application. These achievements have resulted in substantial recognition and product successes for our customers through revolutionary closure designs. In an effort to reflect its holistic approach to packaging, Phoenix Closures drops "Closures" from its name in 2018 to become simply Phoenix – an enduring symbol of tenacity and dedication.

Chairman's Circle and President's Circle Members